Tuesday, March 24, 2015
March 24, 2015
First Post
William Faulkner was born pretty long ago, 1897, more than a hundred years ago. However he was alive during World War 1 so I guess not TOO long ago. The Sound and the Fury was his fourth book and his most popular. (Why I could never be a writer: usually you have to write 4 books before one of them is any good and I just don't have the patients to write four books before I'm appreciated!) Well anyhow, he was a southern man and wrote almost exclusively with his stories based somewhere in the south. He made up Yoknapatawpha County, (no comment on pronunciation.) This place has everything the real south has, persecuted blacks, poor whites, extremely rich whites, the odd farmer or two and merchants out for the towns money. Faulkner likes to experiment with his writing (maybe he should have been a scientist and saved himself a lot of trouble and inky fingers.)
He has a Nobel prize for literature under his belt, pretty respected guy in the literary world. Although his speech is inspiring although hard to understand cause of his accent. However it really gets at the readers heart. He says it was not for glory and least of all for profit." Which is how all works of art should be made! The explains how the fear of death from bombs has clouded the hearts of all young women and men and they have forgotten what life is really about and how to live it. In their fear they have "forgotten the problems of the human heart." These must be relearned! The universal truths are the only important ones (love and honor and pity and pride and compassion and sacrifice.) He has got his heart in the right place! Man shouldn't just survive, he should thrive! (says Faulkner, "man will not merely endure: he will prevail"because man has got spirit and compassion, two very important things.) He asks the artists, the poets, the writers, to lift up there fellow human's heart y reminding them, again and again of the courage, hope, love, joy and pride of MAN! The poets voice does not merely record the proceedings, it "props" people up. It is one of "the pillars to help" man thrive! I mean how inspirational is that to young artists and writers (maybe I'll be a writer after all. Just because of that uplifting speech.)
Little background; Faulkner dropped out of high school and started college instead, which I'm pretty sure is impossible now, mores the pity. I'm also sure almost every person reading this wants to do exactly that, just skip the whole messy bunch of high school (sounds pretty good to me, too.) He also tried to enlist in the military, but got turned down, so he went to Canada. (smart guy). He really like planes and flying them (and i mean who doesn't?) Until, that is, his brother dies. He also, randomly, kind of looks like a bohemian poet (fun fact.) Faulkner is a pretty funny guy, actually. However we may not get it cause we don't really get southern humor (it is certainly different than ours...) So I am just preparing for some interesting jokes that I probably won't get. However, at least he is trying to amuse us.
In conclusion, I really like his quote, “The past is never dead. It’s not even past.” I think this is very true and something to remember in our daily lives as well. And I am, kind of, looking forward to this book. With a title like the Sound and the Fury, what could go wrong. (I hope I didn't just jinx myself.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
great voice here, good writing, interpretation
ReplyDelete