Sunday, April 12, 2015

I personally think that Quentin's chapter was even harder to read than Benjy's. I payed special attention to the things Quentin mentioned again and again. One was his obsession with time. Quentin counts the hour bells and constantly checks or asks for the time. I found this very interesting in comparison with Benjy where time is irrelevant. However just as Benjy lives both in the present and the past, so does Quentin. As Quentin's chapter progresses time becomes more and more befuddled. Quentin spends more and more time living in the past and quickly losses contact with the present.

I also noticed Quentin's longing for his father's approval. Quentin constantly talks about his father's advice, words, and actions. This leads to one specific piece of advice his father gives. Something about how, put simply, a man can't be a man and a virgin. SO then Quentin tells his father he has committed "incest" with Caddy. It is unclear if he really has or he is trying to protect Caddy. (because she had sex with other men who she wasn't married to and had a child.) Quentin maybe pretending to have incest, but I'm honestly not sure. Whether or not Quentin committed incest to save his reputation or save Caddy, Caddy does not like it. She refuses Quentin's attempts to help.

Caddy, to Quentin and Benjy, is the most important person in their lives. Caddy teaches Quentin how to treat women and Quentin refers to her as "his sister." However his sister theme runs throughout his life. He constantly acts men "If they have a sister?" And he thinks of all women as a sister to someone (which I quite like. The idea that everyone is someones sister or brother, mother or father, son or daughter is very poignant and could solve a lot of problems if we remembered that fact.)That's why he has to protect all the women.

Quentin's narration suggest that he is not in a good state of mental health. He is undone at the edges. Fraying quickly. Caddy's rejection and his overall personality make him quite unstable. (He actually reminded me of Haze from Wise Blood. (the way he talks and acts)) His sense of self also gets jumbled around. Often it is hard to discern who is speaking or why. Or even what time period. In Quentin's loss of time, he losses parts of himself. Quentin's flow of emotions, words, sights, scents, etc. gave a confused but important view of Quentin as a character. Quentin's chapter was so confusing and haphazardly arranged to show how Quentin is also like that. Over all I found this chapter confusing, yet compelling. It answered a few of my questions, but left me with dozens of unanswered and new questions, too. 


2 comments:

  1. I like how you point out Quentin's obsession with time as it is very important to this chapter since Benjy is stuck in the past. I also appreciate how you pointed out that to Benjy time was irrelevant because I had not put much thought into that before. I was also confused when reading the book whether he really did have incest, but after reviewing it it is now clear that he only said that to protect his sister. I like how you said he is "fraying quickly" I think that is a perfect way to describe his mental stability.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you mention how Quentin keeps bringing things up about his passed. This is such an important part of the chapter because its an aspect of how He's going crazy. I never realized how much he craves his father's approval, even if it means not being considered a virgin anymore with his sister. You make a good point with the importance of Caddy to both Brenji and Quinten. Great post:)

    ReplyDelete