Sunday, April 19, 2015

I'm going to have to say. Jason is a *cough, cough* to put it nicely. Such a resentful, hateful JERK! He makes me want to punch him. He treats nobody with respect or kindness. Not Dilsey, his employer, any of the African American workers, Quentin, Caddy, not even his own mother (who should always be treated with respect.)
These are the reasons Jason is a jerk:
1) He steals the money meant for Quentin (from Caddy.) Then lies to his mother about it and has her burn the false checks. He is stealing from Quentin and Caddy.
2) He won't even let Caddy see her daughter, until she offers to pay (a bribe of a substantial amount,) then he only lets her see Quentin for about 5 seconds before driving off.
3) He is so mean to Benjy. In the first chapter he cuts up Benjy's dolls purely out of spite. Throughout his chapter he talks about how he should just send Benjy somewhere else.
4)  His mother thinks he is an angel, which makes it even more awful considering that he REALLY is not a good guy, at all.
5) He threatens Quentin and chases her when she is with some guy. NONE of his business, if you ask me.
6) He may be the most resentful person ever. He is such a self centered little poo-head! He thinks he should be entitled to the world. He is so jealous. Jealous that Quentin went to Harvard and that he actually has to work for a living (poor, poor, poor Jason. Crying on the inside.)
7) He is cruel! His words always carry a sting and he never says anything nice. He uses his quick wit to put people down.
8) He blames Caddy for him not getting a good job. (When Caddy was marrying that one guy, Jason was promised a potion in the bank that the one guy owned. He would have gotten the job if Caddy hadn't gotten pregnant with Dalton Ames. He is pissed off about this. However he wouldn't have gotten the job because of anything he did, no good qualities or training, he would have gotten the job solely on family connections. When it was broken off and he had to work in a little grocery store in town, he blames Caddy.) It's not Caddy's fault he can't get a good job based on his own qualifications.
9) He is just plain and simple a brat. Nothing more needs to be added or said. Brat pretty much sums it up.
Thanks for reading my little tirade/vent right there. Throughout this chapter I was very angry. It was hard to read solely because I hated Jason so much the whole time. Faulkner does an excellent job in making his readers hate Jason. What a loathsome character!

3 comments:

  1. Jason definitely needs a long list to describe all his flaws and cruel actions. It is interesting that Faulkner turned readers against Jason to the degree he did, there is really not way to not hate him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your list of traits for Jason. I agree with you! I also liked that you talked about how resentful Jason is. I forgot to mention that in my blog, but you are right, he blames everyone but himself for his problems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hell yeah Tessa. Jason is the most resentful, spiteful, character I've ever read about. He blames Caddy constantly for all his problems and I'm right there with you when you say he's loathsome. Truly disgusting.

    ReplyDelete